So I'm on a health kick. I've lost about seven kilos, and wanted to treat myself to some celebratory pancakes but didn't want to go all out by making my normal recipe. I decided to try my hand at making a healthier version, and was pleasantly surprised by the results.
I'll be honest with you, you can definitely taste the banana. But I was into that. Had Jack Johnson playing in the background and everything.
This recipe serves one, and makes three medium-sized pancakes, but it's an easy recipe to double.
1/4 cup oats
pinch of baking powder (roughly 1/4 of a teaspoon)
pinch of salt
*25g of dark chocolate (1 row of the block I used), roughly chopped
*We both know you're probably gonna put in more, and I strongly encourage this.
1. Put everything, except for the chocolate, into a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Add the chocolate once it's done. It's that simple.
3. Heat a pan over medium heat and pour a third of the mixture in.
4. Wait until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake and break before flipping. Don't worry, the first one always sucks.
5. Top with whatever takes your fancy. I topped mine with peanut butter, maple syrup and strawberries.
Note: There's only five basic ingredients to these pancakes, and they're super easy to modify. Next time I think I'm just going to add the peanut butter straight into the mixture with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. Add whatever you want, and remember that Nutella is pretty much equal in calories to peanut butter. So go nuts.